International societies that sponsor scientific meetings,
research grants and other activities in this field:
Attending scientific meetings and presenting your work at them
is not only important for sharing new information among scientists; it
is also an essential part of a scientist's career development. B. Fischer
& M. Zigmond at the University of Pittsburgh have put together a useful
guide (in PDF format) for how to attend such meetings and present
your work at them.
- International Society on Thrombosis
and Haemostasis (ISTH) sponsors an important international congress on thrombosis and hemostasis that will be held every year starting in 2019. The annual meeting of the Scientific and Standardization Committee (SSC) will be held together with the ISTH Congress:
64th Annual SSC Meeting will be held in Dublin, Ireland, July 18-21, 2018
XXVII ISTH Congress (with 65th Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Melbourne, Australia, July 6-10, 2019
Future annual Congresses of the ISTH: 2020 in Milan, Italy; 2021 in Philadelphia, USA; and 2022 in London, UK.
World Thrombosis Day -- October 13 of each year -- is sponsored by ISTH and co-sponsored by many organizations worldwide to raise awareness of the health risk of thrombosis, its prevention and treatments.
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) holds a large scientific meeting every December, which covers
all aspects of hematology (including blood clotting and vascular biology):
2018 ASH Annual Meeting -- will be held December 1-4, 2018 in San Diego, CA. Abstract deadline is usuall in early August.
- Gordon Research Conferences sponsor a series of small summer conferences, including an important meeting on Hemostasis that is held during the summer of even numbered years (alternating with the ISTH meeting). Other topics of interest include Vascular Cell Biology, and Proteolytic
Enzymes and their Inibitors. These small conferences provide excellent opportunities to meet and talk with colleagues, which is especially valuable for students, postdoctoral fellows, and those
new to an area of investigation. Attendance is very limited, so apply early:
2018 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference, chaired by Alisa Wolberg, will be held July 29 - August 3, 2018 at Waterville Valley, NH.
- American Heart Association (AHA) holds a very large scientific meeting every November, devoted mostly to cardiology. The AHA's Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) sponsors a smaller meeting each spring of interest to researchers working on atherosclerosis, thrombosis and vascular biology. The AHA also funds research grants related to heart disease and stroke (in a broadly defined way) in the United States.
Other meetings of interest:
- ISTH maintains a fairly comprehensive list of upcoming scientific meetings of interest to basic and clinincal researchers in the area of thrombosis and haemostasis