International societies that sponsor scientific meetings,
research grants and other activities in this field:
Attending scientific meetings and presenting your work at them
is not only important for sharing new information among scientists; it
is also an essential part of a scientist's career development. B. Fischer
& M. Zigmond at the University of Pittsburgh have put together a useful
guide (in PDF format) for how to attend such meetings and present
your work at them.
- International Society on Thrombosis
and Haemostasis (ISTH) sponsors an important international congress on thrombosis and hemostasis that is held every two years (odd numbered years), plus a yearly meeting of the Scientific and Standardization Committee (SSC). Future ISTH and SSC meetings:
XXVI ISTH Congress (with 63rd Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Berlin, Germany, July 8-13, 2017
64th Annual SSC Meeting will be held in Dublin, Ireland in 2018
XXVII ISTH Congress (with 65th Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Melbourne, Australia, in 2019
World Thrombosis Day -- October 13 of each year -- is sponsored by ISTH and co-sponsored by many organizations worldwide to raise awareness of the health risk of thrombosis, its prevention and treatments.
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) holds a large scientific meeting every December, which covers
all aspects of hematology (including blood clotting and vascular biology):
2017 ASH Annual Meeting -- will be held in December 2017. Further details should be available in early 2017.
- Gordon Research Conferences sponsor a series of small summer conferences, including an important meeting on Hemostasis that is held during the summer of even numbered years (alternating with the ISTH meeting). Other topics of interest include Vascular Cell Biology, and Proteolytic
Enzymes and their Inibitors. These small conferences provide excellent opportunities to meet and talk with colleagues, which is especially valuable for students, postdoctoral fellows, and those
new to an area of investigation. Attendance is very limited, so apply early:
The next Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference, will be chaired by Alisa Wolberg and will be held in summer 2018.
- Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America (THSNA) holds a scientific meeting focused on both basic & clinical research on thrombosis and hemostasis every two years (in even-numbered years), typically in April. The next meeting will be held in San Diego, CA, USA on March 8-10, 2018.
- American Heart Association (AHA) holds a very large scientific meeting every November, devoted mostly to cardiology. The AHA's Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) sponsors a smaller meeting each spring of interest to researchers working on atherosclerosis, thrombosis and vascular biology. The AHA also funds research grants related to heart disease and stroke (in a broadly defined way) in the United States.
Other meetings of interest:
- ISTH maintains a fairly comprehensive list of upcoming scientific meetings of interest to basic and clinincal researchers in the area of thrombosis and haemostasis
Recent past meetings:
- 62nd Annual SSC Meeting was held in Montpellier, France, May 25-28, 2016
- 2016 ASH Annual Meeting was held in San Diego, CA, USA, December 3-6, 2016.
- The 2016 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference and Gordon Research Seminar on Hemostasis were held in Stowe, Vermont on July 24-29, 2016.
- 8th Symposium on Hemostasis was held May 12-14, 2016 at the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA.
- XXV ISTH Congress (with 61st Annual SSC Meeting) -- was held in Toronto, Canada, June 20-25, 2015. Webcasts of selected talks are available here, and posters are available here. Highlights of the Congress are available here.
- FASEB Summer Research Conference on Proteases in Hemostasis & Vascular Biology was held in Keystone, CO, June 7-12, 2015; chaired by Hartmut Weiler.
- 2014 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference and 2014 Gordon Research Seminar on Hemostasis were held July 26-August 1, 2014.
- 60th Annual SSC Meeting of the ISTH -- was held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, June 23-26, 2014
- 7th Symposium on Hemostasis was held at the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, NC, May 15-17, 2014.
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America (THSNA) held its 3rd comprehensive scientific meeting dedicated to thrombosis and hemostasis in Chicago, IL, April 14-16, 2016.
- XXIV ISTH Congress (with 59th Annual SSC Meeting) was held in Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 29 - July 4, 2013. Webcasts of selected talks are available at this link
- FASEB Summer Research Conference on Proteases in Hemostasis & Vascular Biology was held June 2-7, 2013 in Nassau, Bahamas; chaired by Jim Huntington.