International societies that sponsor scientific meetings,
research grants and other activities in this field:
Attending scientific meetings and presenting your work at them
is not only important for sharing new information among scientists; it
is also an essential part of a scientist's career development. B. Fischer
& M. Zigmond at the University of Pittsburgh have put together a useful
guide (in PDF format) for how to attend such meetings and present
your work at them.
- International Society on Thrombosis
and Haemostasis (ISTH) sponsors an important international congress on thrombosis and hemostasis that is held every two years (odd numbered years), plus a yearly meeting of the Scientific and Standardization Committee (SSC). Future ISTH and SSC meetings:
62nd Annual SSC Meeting -- will be held in Montpellier, France, May 25-28, 2016
XXVI ISTH Congress (with 63rd Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Berlin, Germany, July 8-13, 2017
XXVII ISTH Congress (with 65th Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Melbourne, Australia, in 2019
World Thrombosis Day -- October 13 of each year -- is sponsored by ISTH and co-sponsored by many organizations worldwide to raise awareness of the health risk of thrombosis, its prevention and treatments.
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) holds a large scientific meeting every December, which covers
all aspects of hematology (including blood clotting and vascular biology):
2015 ASH Annual Meeting -- will be held in Orlando, FL, USA, December 5-8, 2015. Abstract deadline is August 4, 2015.
- Gordon Research Conferences sponsor a series of small summer conferences, including an important meeting on Hemostasis that is held during the summer of even numbered years (alternating with the ISTH meeting). Other topics of interest include Vascular Cell Biology, and Proteolytic
Enzymes and their Inibitors. These small conferences provide excellent opportunities to meet and talk with colleagues, which is especially valuable for students, postdoctoral fellows, and those
new to an area of investigation. Attendance is very limited, so apply early:
The 2016 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference, chaired jointly by Jorge Di Paola and Jim Morrissey, will be held July 24-29, 2016 at theStoweflake Resort and Conference Center, Stowe, VT, USA. It will be preceded by a special two-day Gordon Research Seminar on Hemostasis for postdocs and graduate students (at the same site, from July 23-24, 2016). More information will be available closer to the time of the conference.
- Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America (THSNA) holds a scientific meeting focused on both basic & clinical research on thrombosis and hemostasis every two years (in even-numbered years), typically in April. The next meeting will be held in Chicago, IL, USA on April 14-16, 2016.
- 8th Symposium on Hemostasis will be held at the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, on May 12-14, 2016. The focus will include the latest findings related to tissue factor, coagulation proteases and their role in hemostasis and thrombosis, as well as interplay between coagulation and inflammation. Research on novel approaches for treating bleeding in hemophilia and trauma induced coagulopathy, animal models of bleeding and thrombosis and activation of coagulation in disease will also be presented.
- American Heart Association (AHA) holds a very large scientific meeting every November, devoted mostly to cardiology. The AHA's Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) sponsors a smaller meeting each spring of interest to researchers working on atherosclerosis, thrombosis and vascular biology. The AHA also funds research grants related to heart disease and stroke (in a broadly defined way) in the United States.
Other meetings of interest:
- ISTH maintains a fairly comprehensive list of upcoming scientific meetings of interest to basic and clinincal researchers in the area of thrombosis and haemostasis
- The 15th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies will take place in Istanbul, Turkey, on September 21-24, 2016. The International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies (aPL) is held every three years to discuss the recent advances and future directions in aPL and Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS), bringing together basic, translational, and clinical investigators with scientific and clinical expertise in APS as well as other thrombotic disorders.
Recent past meetings:
- XXV ISTH Congress (with 61st Annual SSC Meeting) -- was held in Toronto, Canada, June 20-25, 2015. Webcasts of selected talks are available here, and posters are available here.
- FASEB Summer Research Conference on Proteases in Hemostasis & Vascular Biology was held in Keystone, CO, June 7-12, 2015; chaired by Hartmut Weiler.
- 2014 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference and 2014 Gordon Research Seminar on Hemostasis were held July 26-August 1, 2014.
- 60th Annual SSC Meeting of the ISTH -- was held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, June 23-26, 2014
- 7th Symposium on Hemostasis was held at the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, NC, May 15-17, 2014.
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America (THSNA) held its 2nd comprehensive scientific meeting dedicated to thrombosis and hemostasis in Chicago, IL, April 10-12, 2014.
- XXIV ISTH Congress (with 59th Annual SSC Meeting) was held in Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 29 - July 4, 2013. Webcasts of selected talks are available at this link
- FASEB Summer Research Conference on Proteases in Hemostasis & Vascular Biology was held June 2-7, 2013 in Nassau, Bahamas; chaired by Jim Huntington.