International societies that sponsor scientific meetings,
research grants and other activities in this field:
Attending scientific meetings and presenting your work at them
is not only important for sharing new information among scientists; it
is also an essential part of a scientist's career development. B. Fischer
& M. Zigmond at the University of Pittsburgh have put together a useful
guide (in PDF format) for how to attend such meetings and present
your work at them.
- International Society on Thrombosis
and Haemostasis (ISTH) sponsors an important international congress on thrombosis and hemostasis that is held every two years (odd numbered years), plus a yearly meeting of the Scientific and Standardization Committee (SSC). Future ISTH and SSC meetings:
60th Annual SSC Meeting -- will be held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, June 23-26, 2014
XXV ISTH Congress (with 61st Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Toronto, Canada, June 20-25, 2015
62nd Annual SSC Meeting -- will be held in Montellier, France, in 2016
XXVI ISTH Congress (with 63rd Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Berlin, Germany, in 2017
XXVII ISTH Congress (with 65th Annual SSC Meeting) -- will be held in Melbourne, Australia, in 2019
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) holds a large scientific meeting every December, which covers
all aspects of hematology (including blood clotting and vascular biology):
2013 ASH Annual Meeting -- will be held in New Orleans, LA, USA, December 7-10, 2013. Abstract deadline was August 8, 2013.
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America (THSNA) will hold its 2nd comprehensive scientific meeting dedicated to thrombosis and hemostasis in Chicago, IL, April 10-12, 2014. It is a collaboration of 13 leading non-profit organizations in both fields in North America. Early registration deadline is Decemer 1, 2013, and abstract deadline is December 2, 2013.
- 7th Symposium on Hemostasis to be held at the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, NC, May 15-17, 2014. Past meetings have focused on the latest findings related to tissue factor, factor VIIa, tissue factor pathway inhibitor, and their interactions, as well as non-hemostatic roles of tissue factor. More info will be posted as it becomes available.
- Gordon Research Conferences sponsor a series of small summer conferences, including an important meeting on Hemostasis that is held during the summer of even numbered years (alternating with the ISTH meeting). Other topics of interest include Vascular Cell Biology, and Proteolytic
Enzymes and their Inibitors. These small conferences provide excellent opportunities to meet and talk with colleagues, which is especially valuable for students, postdoctoral fellows, and those
new to an area of investigation. Attendance is very limited, so apply early:
2014 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference -- will be held July 27 to August 1, 2014, at the Waterville Valley Resort in Waterville, NH, USA. Abstracts can be submitted for poster presentations. This meeting will be preceded by a special two-day 2014 Gordon Research Seminar on Hemostasis from July 26-27, 2014 for postdocs and graduate students.
- American Heart Association (AHA) holds a very large scientific meeting every November, devoted mostly to cardiology. The AHA's Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) sponsors a smaller meeting each spring of interest to researchers working on atherosclerosis, thrombosis and vascular biology. The AHA also funds research grants related to heart disease and stroke (in a broadly defined way) in the United States.
Other meetings of interest:
Recent past meetings:
- XXIV ISTH Congress (with 59th Annual SSC Meeting) was held in Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 29 - July 4, 2013. Webcasts of selected talks are available at this link
FASEB Summer Research Conference on Proteases in Hemostasis & Vascular Biology was held June 2-7, 2013 in Nassau, Bahamas; chaired by Jim Huntington.
The 2012 ASH Annual Meeting -- was held in Atlanta, GA, USA, December 8-11, 2012.
XXIII ISTH Congress (with 57th Annual SSC Meeting) was held in Kyoto, Japan, in July 2011. Webcasts of selected talks are availble at this link
The 58th Annual SSC Meeting was held in Liverpool, UK, June 27-30, 2012
- 2012 Hemostasis Gordon Research Conference -- was held at Waterville Valley Resort, Waterville Valley, NH, July 22-27, 2012 . This meeting was preceded by a two-day Gordon Research Seminar on Hemostasis (same site, July 21-22, 2012) for postdocs and graduate students.